Sunday, January 3, 2010

SPC #17: AIAA/SCTC Position Statement

Welcome to the Sunday Paper Club. (almost) every Sunday, this blog will offer analysis of a paper on space habitation and other related topics. These are my opinions on a weekly scientific paper; basically I read the paper and write down my thoughts are I read it. They are subject to my perspectives and believes. I am open to debate, so if any reader believes I have misinterpreted something in a paper, please point it out. I'm only a student and I'm still learning how to read these papers and interpret them. All quotes and ideas are from the paper unless otherwise noted.

This week we are reviewing the position statement Robust Implementation of Lunar Settlements with Commercial and International Enterprise. This statement is really a to-do list, so I suggest you all read the statement. Below is my reactions to the statement .

The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Space Colonization Technical Committee released these statements  When President Bush set a lunar base as NASA’s mission. I found it interesting that the committee said robotic missions can test technologies and methods needed to set up a lunar base. I did not expect that to be helpful, but that makes sense. The committee wants on Earth testing sites for a lunar base. But, we already see these simulations with FMARS.
This plan seems to be focused on energy development. Engaging nuclear and solar power sources on the moon, leading the He-3 power. This power search is for the development of a non-chemical way to escape the gravity of Earth. They also ask for many observation sites on the moon, hopefully turning the Moon into a hub for astronomy. I also found it interesting that the moon will have Mars base simulations. Hopefully, doing this will build momentum for space habitation.

The position also suggest to development of laws that allow for the construction of bases on the surface of the moon which is humanity’s property. Honestly, space law confuses me, so I’ll go into to this later.

Creative Commons License

Related Posts with Thumbnails